As many of you may know, I am a Culinary Ambassador to City of Hope and its Super Foods initiative. City of Hope is a leading research and treatment center for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases. Researchers there are developing cutting-edge treatments and technology to help find cures for these diseases. They’ve also identified five super foods that could help fight cancer — grape seed extract, pomegranates, cinnamon, mushrooms and blueberries. I’m so proud of the work I’m doing on behalf of City of Hope and was so completely honored when I was asked to becomea Citizen of Hope. Because I lost both parents to cancer, the amazing work City of Hope does hits home for me in a very personal way. You can help support City of Hope’s lifesaving work by becoming a Citizen of Hope and creating your own badge — like the one above – symbolizing what gives you hope. Please join me, Kiefer Sutherland, Taraji P. Henson, Archie Panjabi, Josie Maran and thousands more by becoming a Citizen of Hope: www.cityofhope.org/gh.
As part of its partnership with Good Housekeeping, 10,000 City of Hope recipe cards featuring some of my Super Foods recipes are being distributed on Tuesday, April 30th at Grand Central Station’s Vanderbuilt Hall throughout the day. If you’re in NYC, please come by Vanderbuilt Hall and pick up some recipe cards. Here’s an example of one of the recipe cards featuring Asian Pear and Gorgonzola Salad (starring the Super Food Pomegranates in the dressing)! Here’s the printable recipe:
- 2 tablespoons fresh pomegranate seeds
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- ½ cup canola oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups mixed baby greens
- 2 small Asian Pears, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh Pomegranate Seeds
- ½ cup gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- Prepare Vinaigrette: In a small bowl, crush the pomegranate seeds to release juices. Add the vinegar, sugar, shallots and canola oil and whisk until blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the greens onto a large platter. Place the pears over the greens and sprinkle the pomegranate seeds, pistachios, and gorgonzola on top. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and serve immediately.