I was so excited to appear on Good Day LA recently to demo light summer salads with hosts Araksya Karapetyan and Marla Tellez!
I made this easy and delicious Prawn and Mango Salad from my cookbook, “Everyday Thai Cooking” made with juicy fresh mangos, red pepper, cucumber, cilantro, crushed peanuts, tender shrimp tossed in a sweet, sour, salty, hot dressing of fish sauce, freshly squeezed lime juice, brown sugar, Asian chili sauce, canola oil, sesame oil, fresh ginger. Light, refreshing and cool, this is the perfect salad for a hot summer day!
- 2 teaspoons minced galangal or fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons palm or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons ﬁsh sauce (nam pla)
- ½ teaspoon Asian chili-garlic sauce, preferably sambal oelek
- ¼ cup olive or canola oil 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 16 cooked medium-sized shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup (165 g) sliced fresh mango
- ½ cup (52 g) chopped cucumber, peeled and seeded
- ½ cup (46 g) chopped red bell pepper
- 4 tablespoons ﬁnely chopped fresh coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 4 tablespoons crushed roasted peanuts
- Mixed baby greens for four salad plates
- Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the Dressing ingredients. Gradually whisk in olive oil and sesame oil until well blended.
- In a large bowl, combine shrimp, mango, cucumber, red pepper, fresh coriander leaves, and peanuts. Add the Dressing and toss to combine. Divide salad greens evenly among four plates. Place salad mixture on top of greens. Serve immediately.